by Becky Riding
Letter to Parents From Becky
This Book of Mormon study guide is really designed for 2-3 year olds. Most children at this age will require coaching with these questions. Feel free to change them if they are too much or too little. Also, be prepared to explain what words mean, like “robber” and “casting lots.” My study guide is a little advanced for birth to one year old, but just reading to children at the earliest ages is enough.
There are 104 Storied Scripture selections for the Book of Mormon. That means that doing one selection a week will take 2 years for the complete program. This is a perfect introduction to the Book of Mormon for young children, and preparation for a more in-depth study later on for 4-7 year olds. I’ve separated the reading into 13 week units.
Book of Mormon Study Guide:
Age of Innocence
|Week # and Selection||Activity||Discussion Questions||Suggestions for Acting Out||Application Questions|
1 Nephi 1: 1-8, 18-20
|Color picture of Pillar of Fire.||1. Why did Lehi tell Jerusalem that they would be destroyed?|
2. Why were the people of Jerusalem angry?
|None||1. Would you listen to Lehi?|
3. Do we have a prophet who warns us today?
1 Nephi 2: 1-7
|Pitch a tent, or make one in your living room.||1. Where did Lehi take his family?|
2. Why did Lehi take his family into the wilderness?
|Read the story in the tent.||1.Would you go with Lehi?|
1 Nephi 2: 16-24
|Color picture of boy on knees praying.||1. What did Nephi do to know God?|
2. What does Nephi need to do to live in the land of Promise?
|None||1. What do we need to do to know God?|
2. What do we need to do to live with Heavenly Father again?
1 Nephi 3: 1-9
|Make brass plates (sheets of cardboard, paint brass, and tie together).||1. What did Nephi and his brothers need to get from Jerusalem?|
2. Why were the plates so important?
|Use the brass plates you made.||1. Are our scriptures as important to us as the Brass plates were to Lehi’s family?|
2. Will the Lord always provide a way to fulfill all of His commandments?
|Weel 5: |
1 Nephi 3: 10-14
|Color a picture of the house of Laban.||1. What does “cast lots” mean?|
2. Why did Laban call Laman a robber and cast him out?
3. Why did Nephi’s brothers want to go back to the wilderness?
|None||1. Would you want to go home if Laban threw you out?|
2. What would you do now?
1 Nephi 3: 15-16, 19-21
|Color a picture of Nephi.||1. Why do they need the plates of brass?|
2. Does Nephi have faith in the Lord?
|None||1. How can we keep the commandments like Nephi?|
1 Nephi 3: 22-27
|Make “jeweled necklaces.” (color hollow noodles or other large objects that can be threaded onto a string).||1. Why did the brother’s take all of the riches to Laban?|
2. What did Laban do?
|Use the “jeweled necklaces.”||1.Why were the plates of brass more important than all of the riches?|
2. Are our scriptures more important than all of our riches?
1 Nephi 3:28-31
|Color picture of an angel.||1. Why were Laman and Lemuel so angry?|
2. What did they do to Nephi?
3. What did the angel say to Laman and Lemuel?
|None||1. Should we hit our brothers?|
2. What would you do if you saw an angel?
1 Nephi 4: 1, 5-19
|Make a sword of Laban (out of a paper towel tube or cardboard)||1. Why did Nephi get the plates this time?|
2. Why did Nephi kill Laban?
3. Why did the Lord command Nephi to kill Laban?
|Use the sword of Laban you made.||1. Is it ok to kill?|
2. What would you have done?
1 Nephi 4: 20-21, 23-38
|Color a picture of Nephi and Zoram.||1. Why did Zoram follow Nephi?|
2. Why did Nephi and his brothers let Zoram come with them?
3. What is an oath?
|None||1. Would you have been scared of Nephi when he looked like Laban?|
2. Is it important to do what you say you will do?
1 Nephi 7: 1-5
|Color a picture of a husband and a wife.||1. Why did they go back to Jerusalem?|
2. Why did Lehi’s sons need wives?
1 Nephi 11: 21-28, 30-32
|Color a picture of the Vision.|
Make a Rod of Iron.
|1. What is a vision?|
2. What was in Nephi’s vision?
|Use the Rod of Iron.||1. What do you think the vision means?|
2. How can you “hold to the rod?”
1 Nephi 16: 4-12
|Make a Liahona||1. Why were Nephi and Lehi blessed?|
2. What was the Liahona?
|Use the Liahona you made.||1. How do we know what way to go?|
2. Can we use the scriptures to guide us like the Liahona?
Based on the Book of Mormon Storied Scriptures reading plan.
Book of Mormon Study Guide:
Age of Innocence
|Week # and Selection||Activity||Discussion questions||Suggestions for role play||Application questions|
1 Nephi 16:15-28, 30-32
|Make a bow and arrow||1. Why were Nephi and his brothers hungry?|
2. What did Nephi do?
3. Who did Nephi and his father ask to find out where food was?
|Use Bow and Arrow made.||1. Why did Nephi ask his father first?|
2. Should we ask our father questions before we take them to the Lord?
1 Nephi 17: 1, 3-4, 6-15
|Color a picture of a ship||1.Why did Nephi go to the mountain?|
2. How will they reach the Promised Land?
|None||1. Was Nephi obedient to the Lord?|
2. How can you be like Nephi?
1 Nephi 17:16-18, 49-51
|Make paper boats||1. Why did Nephi’s brothers complain?|
2. What did Nephi tell them?
|Use the paper boats.||1. What could you have done to help Nephi build the boat?|
2. What is hard in your life that the Lord can help you with?
1 Nephi 18: 4-8
|Color a picture of a ship on the ocean.||1. What did they take with them?|
3. Who was born in the wilderness?
|None||1. What would you want to take with you?|
1 Nephi 18: 9-15, 20-21
|Color a picture of Nephi bound.||1. Why did the Liahona stop working?|
2. What does it mean to “speak with much soberness?”
3. What happened when Nephi was freed?
|None||1. Does anyone ever “speak with much soberness” to you?|
1 Nephi 18:22-25
|Plant seeds||1. How long did it take to get to the Promised Land?|
2. What did they do when they got there?
3. What did they find there?
|None||1. How does the Lord bless us in our lives?|
2. What do we have already to be thankful for?
2 Nephi 5: 1-2, 5-9, 10-17
|Color a picture of a temple.||1. Why did Nephi and the others flee from Nephi’s brothers (Lamanites)?|
2. Why did they want to kill Nephi?
3. What did Nephi build in the Land of Nephi?
|None||1. Why was it important that the Nephites and Lamanites be apart?|
2. Why did Nephi build a temple?
3. Why are temples so special to us today?
2 Nephi 31: 4-13, 19-21
|Color a picture of a boy being baptized.||1. Why was Christ baptized?|
2.What else do we need to do after we are baptized?
|None||1. Why do we need to be baptized?|
2. What does it mean to take upon you the name of Christ?
3. How can we do that?
|Color a picture of the scriptures||1. What do the scriptures talk about?|
2. Where can we find the truth?
|None||1. How can you learn more about Christ?|
2. Why is it important to read the scriptures?
Enos 1: 1-8, 15-17
|Color a picture of Enos praying in the forest||1. Where did Enos go to pray?|
2. How long did he pray for?
3.What did he pray for?
|Go for a walk in the forest (or park).||1. Why is it important to pray?|
2. Does it matter where you pray?
Mosiah 1: 1-2, 6-7, 9-12, 15-16, 18
|Color a picture of King Benjamin teaching his sons.||1. Who were King Benjamin’s sons?|
2. What did King Benjamin teach them?
3. Who did King Benjamin name to be King?
4. Where did the people go to hear King Benjamin?
|None||1. Who teaches you?|
2. Why did the people go to the temple?
Mosiah 2: 1-2, 6-8
|Build a tower||1. Why did King Benjamin build a tower?||Use the tower (or build it again)||1. Do we ever hear someone teach us this way?|
Mosiah 2: 17-18, 22-24, 38-41
|Color a picture of King Benjamin on the tower.||1. What did King Benjamin teach us to do?|
2. What did he say the Lord would do if we keep the commandments?
|None||1. How can we serve each other?|
2. What are some of the ways the Lord blesses us?